Tutor: Mike James aka The Endurance Physio
Optimising Endurance Performance is an evidence-based course with a strong practical element aimed at helping therapists, athletes and coaches manage the endurance athlete. The course is designed and led by endurance
specialist Physiotherapist Mike James, widely known as “The Endurance Physio”.
Please note that the date and venue for this course are still to be confirmed, and could change
Mike has over 20 years’ experience as an ultra-endurance athlete and therapist, competing and treating worldwide. He has a growing reputation in the sports medicine, rehabilitation and conditioning world. He has worked with novice to elite athletes in triathlon, running, swimming and ultra-running, coupled with 16 years’ experience of treating military personnel undertaking strenuous endurance-based exercise including Special Forces based in Afghanistan.
He has had articles published in national endurance-based magazines and has lectured, presented and treated at numerous national exhibitions, competitions and shows.
Mike holds a Masters in Physiotherapy as well as degrees in Sports Rehabilitation and Sports Science. Mike’s passion is helping athletes achieve their potential and reducing injury risk, with an emphasis on strength and conditioning.
He is passionate about helping athletes get to the start line and finding practical solutions to their problems.
By the end of the course attendees should have a greater understanding of:
- Potential causes of injury in endurance sports and be able to identify them in athletes.
- The role of injury risk reduction and the importance of the therapist in achieving this.
- How to manage training load in endurance athletes, including how to progress load distance safely.
- The importance of strength and conditioning in endurance sports, and an ability to prescribe strength and conditioning regimes within a training regime.
- The selection and application of numerous treatment techniques to assist the endurance athlete.
- The importance and application of a range of recovery strategies to assist the endurance athlete.
The course is friendly and informal and encourages discussion and debate. The aim is to provide a relaxed and enjoyable environment in which to learn and develop skills for any therapist working with endurance athletes to use
the very next day.
Course date: TBC
Course Venue: TBC
Course Cost: £99
Course taught by: Mike James